I Need to Change My Address (AR-11)

Urban areaAR-11

USCIS Form AR-11 must be used by all foreign nationals residing in the United States, including U.S. permanent residents and non-immigrants, who are over the age of 14 and remaining in the United States for more than thirty days to report any change in address to the USCIS within ten days . The regulation can be found in Section 262(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act .

There is no fee for filing, the only expense is the cost for mailing. Copies of form AR-11 are available for download from the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/ar-11.pdf or by visiting the ISSS to obtain a paper copy. If you prefer to file your address change online, please visit https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

Q. Form AR-11 instructs me to "copy number from Alien Card" to enter my A number. What does that mean? Do I have an "A" number?

A. Most international students and scholars in F or J status do not have an "A" number, and should simply leave that question blank. Individuals who do have "A" numbers are those who have obtained an Employment Authorization Card from the USCIS (the A number is printed on the front of the card). That would include those F-1s with EADs for optional practical training or employment based on economic hardship, and J-2 visa holders with work authorization. Others who would have "A" numbers include those who have applied for or have obtained permanent residency, refugee status, or political asylum. For those individuals, their "A" number will appear on their receipt notice or on their refugee or alien registration cards.

Q. I plan to make a trip abroad. Do I need to report my overseas address to the USCIS?

A. No. The USCIS is only interested in your address in the United States.

Q. Form AR-11 asks for my port of entry and date of entry into the United States. I have made several trips into the United States. Which port of entry and date of entry should I provide?

A. Provide only your most recent date and port of entry, as indicated on your current I-94 departure card.

Q. Form AR-11 asks for the date my stay in the United States will expire. What date should I use?

A. The expiration date is the date written on your I-94 departure card. If your I-94 card reads "D/S" for duration of status (true for all F and J visa holders), the expiration date is then the completion date on your Form I-20 or IAP-66 (or DS-2019).

Q. I have lived at several addresses in the past few years. But this is the first time I am filling out form AR-11. Do I need to fill out a form for each address where I have lived?

A. No. Only complete an AR-11 for your current address.

Q. The AR-11 Form instructs me to report my change of address within 10 days. But I have lived at my current address for many months. What should I do?

A. Complete the AR-11 so that you will be in compliance with the address reporting requirement, and remember to file a new AR-11 within ten days if you move to a new address within the United States.

Q. What if I forget to send in a Form AR-11 or report my address late? What will the USCIS do?

A. The USCIS, through the Department of Homeland Security, has the authority to forgive such failures provided the failure to report "was reasonably excusable or was not willful." That means that you need to report properly and promptly, but that USCIS will generally not take an action against you just because you missed a deadline or didn't know you needed to report, provided that you act in good faith and send the report once you know you have to report or realize you have missed the deadline.

Q. Do I need to mail this form to USCIS in a special way?

A. The USCIS recommends that you send a copy of the AR-11 with a return receipt or some other method that will give you documentation that you did indeed mail the form to the USCIS, in case there should ever be a question. Also be sure to keep a copy of the completed AR-11 for your records.

Client Testimonials
I had the pleasure of working with Don Slowik. Don is a terrific guy and obviously knows what he is doing. Every time we had to either call or meet with Don it was always very professional and very quick. He jumps to the point and doesn’t want to waste our time …
Extremely helpful team, no matter what questions we had they answered with complete ease and comprehensive info. Bradley A. Morone